Julia Romero-Gusse was born and raised in Southern California and served in the U.S. Air Force at the National Security Agency prior to moving to Arizona. In 2005, Gusse and her family moved to Maricopa.
In 2008, she joined the city staff as a secretary for the planning and zoning department and administrative assistant for development services. Her experiences inspired her to run for city council. She served two terms.
Gusse focused on helping women and minority entrepreneurs, as well as veteran services. She has been a part of ZONTA, National League of Cities Women in Municipal Government board member, the Maricopa/Ak-Chin STEAM Foundation Board, and the Maricopa Hispanic Chamber.
Other organizations include:
- University of Arizona (M.A. class of 2010)
- Veterans Upward Bound Alumni
- Latino Family Initiative, board member
- Former Commander, Maricopa American Legion Post No. 133
- Pinal Hispanic Leadership Institute Alumni
- VetIT, founder and former board member
Photo: Victor Moreno