This one-pot chowder is the ultimate comfort food on a chilly evening. It’s also gluten- and dairy-free (if you use the cashew cream option) for a completely guilt-free chowder.
Serves 6 | Prep Time 20-25 min
1 pkg Nitrate-free bacon
1 lb Deveined shrimp
1 Onion, minced
2 Garlic cloves
3 Yukon potatoes, diced
2 Celery ribs, diced
2 Carrots, minced
1/4 tsp Sweet paprika
1/2 tsp Dried thyme
4 cups Chicken stock
1 cup Fresh or frozen corn, thawed and cooked
1/4 cup Heavy cream or cashew cream
1 tbs Fresh parsley, for garnish
1 sprig Fresh thyme, for garnish
1 tbs Scallions, for garnish
- Heat a large stockpot or soup pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, around 5-8 minutes. Turn off heat and place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat out of the pan. Turn heat to medium-high and cook shrimp for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until pink and fully cooked through. Transfer to another plate lined with paper towels and drain remaining liquid out of the pot.
- Place garlic and onion into the pot. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until onions start to turn clear. Add potato, celery and carrots to the pot. Cook until the potato starts to soften. Then add spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken stock and stir well, making sure to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, add corn and turn down heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk in cream of choice. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve with roughly chopped shrimp, bacon pieces, parsley, thyme and scallions.